Strength in Unity Pledge
- [Special thanks to all those who contributed to the crafting of the pledge and to Suvren Design for the complimentary artwork.]
Dear people who use, provide, or are otherwise interested in the field of sign language interpreting:
In the face of increasing hostility and attacks on the institutions of integrity, there is no place for equivocation. People and organizations of conscience must join together and publicly affirm their support of humanity.
We, the people and organizations within the field of sign language interpreting, commit to embrace our multicultural backgrounds. We do this in recognition of the fundamental rights and individual journey of every human being.
We are committed to the work required to create a field that is welcoming and inclusive of all parties by acknowledging and valuing a diversity of perspectives and lived experiences.
Accordingly, we pledge to:
- Actively engage with people from marginalized communities to gain perspective
- Listen, learn, and be conscious of our own privilege
- Be accountable for our learning and show up, regardless of circumstance or praise
- Remain present through the internal and external discomfort that may result from our commitment
- Resist ideas that suggest strength is found in self-promotion at the expense of others
- Avoid identity politics or the dismissal of another’s experience as irrelevant or unimportant
- Name antagonisms in their many forms and call out oppressive acts, overt and subtle
- Dismantle the oppressive systems that empower and encourage antagonistic acts
We, the people and organizations within the field of sign language interpreting, commit to strengthening the field by rooting ourselves in unity and in the recognition of the inherent multicultural and socioeconomic diversity of those supporting, providing, and utilizing the services of an interpreter.
Stand with us?
– Brandon Arthur, Founder, StreetLeverage
– Jimmy Beldon & Robert Sandoval, Co-Chairs, National Deaf Interpreters (NDI)
– Keri Brooks, President, American Sign Language Teachers Association (ASLTA)
– Susan Brown, President, National Association of Interpreters in Education (NAIE)
– Ashley Campbell, President, Association of Visual Language Interpreters (AVLIC)
– Carmelo Falú, Chair, BLeGIT* – Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)
– Julie Judd, Chairperson, Australian Sign Language Interpreters’ Association (ASLIA)
– Leslie Greer, President, Conference of Interpreter Trainers (CIT)
– David Quinto-Pozos, President, Mano a Mano
– Frank Peralez III, President, Texas Society of Interpreters for the Deaf (TSID)
– Len Roberson, President, Commission On Collegiate Interpreter Education (CCIE)
– Debra Russell, President, World Association of Sign Language Interpreters (WASLI)
– Billy Sanders, President, National Alliance of Black Interpreters – Washington, DC (NAOBI – DC)
– Miako Villanueva, President, Center for the Assessment of Sign Language Interpretation (CASLI)
– Melvin Walker, President, Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)
– James Wiggins, Chair, Interpreters and Transliterators of Color – Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)
* Scroll down to see additional people and organizations who have taken the pledge.
Pledge your support by completing the form below. (Be sure to confirm your pledge by clicking the link in the confirmation email that will be sent to you.)
* Be sure to confirm your pledge by clicking the link in the confirmation email that will be sent to you.
Additional individuals and organizations supporting the pledge:
– Erica Alley, MAISCE Program Director, St. Catherine University
– Rob Balaam, Co-owner, Partners in Communication
– Wing Bulter, Senior Director, GoReact
– Stacy Dale-Schuetz, President, Professional Sign Language Interpreting
– Jeff Hardison, Interim Director, Gallaudet Interpreting Service
– Karl Kosiorek, President, Deaf Access Solutions
– Mary Darragh MacLean, President, Sign Language Resources
– Jessica Moseley, CEO, TCS Interpreting
– Delia Mott Merritt, CEO, Communication by Hand
– Jarrod Musano, CEO, Convo Relay
– Holly Nelson, Program Director, VRS Interpreting Institute
– Joshua Pennise, National Director, Sorenson Community Interpreting Services
– Lance Pickett, Vice President of Corporate Marketing, Sorenson Video Relay Service
– Angela Roth, President & CEO, American Sign Language Services
– Crystina Scott, CEO, ASL Communication
– Chad Taylor, Queen Bee, Linguabee
– Paul Tracy, Co-Founder, Partners Interpreting
– Lyle Vold, President/CEO, Access Interpreting
– Shara Winesburg, Public Relations Coordinator, Communication Service for the Deaf